Yogi Ramsuratkumar was born in a village close to river Ganga, in Bihar not far from Varanasi (Benares) on 1 December, 1918. From childhood, he evinced an intense spiritual thirst. He had an extraordinary devotion towards mother Ganga. Often seated on the banks, he would sense a peace descending on him. Very often, gazing at the stars and listening to the soft melody of the river, he would fall asleep on the banks.
The young Ramsuratkumar was magnetically attracted by the saints and sadhus whom he met in large numbers there. He enganged with them in Nama Japa. His father recounted to him Ramayana and Mahabharata. The young boy absorbed them intensely
Although the boy went to school like others, his attraction was for the banks of Ganga and for the legends recounted by the sadhus who saw in him a great soul. His compassion was already great. Often he brought home and to the homes of neighbors sadhus who begged for food. He didn't hesitate to offer them his own meals.
It was when he was 12 years old that
he had his spiritual awakening. When pulling water from a well
on a moonlit night, he saw a sparrow chirping on the other end
of the coping. In an impulsive manner, he threw the rope towards
it. This struck the bird which fell to the ground. Stricken with
uncontrollable sorrow and drenched in tears, he took the bird
in his hands and poured a few drops of water into its beak, but
the bird was dead. The
boy then immersed the bird in Ganga. This incident raised a number of questions in the mind of the young Ramsuratkumar. He regretted his act and resented that had he not acted impetuously, the incident could have been averted. The suffering that he then experienced filled his heart with compassion towards all creatures.
When he was 16 years, moved by an immense impusle to search for God, he left his home carrying nothing with himself. He realized that he wasguided by an extradorinary spiritual power. He could hear the call of His Father, the Lord Himself.
Some deep mystic experiences made
him aware of his spiritual mission, which led him in 1947 to
Sri Aurobindo ashram at Pondicherry. There a young
disciple of Sri Aurobindo advised him to visit Sri Ramana Maharshi at Tiruvannamalai. He lived there for three days and was filled with an even
greater spiritual energy. A person gave him a newspaper cutting that led him to Swami Ramdas at Kanhangad in Kerala. He then returned to Varanasi. The following year, in 1948, he returned to Sri Aurobindo ashram. Then he went to Ramanashram and stayed there for 2 months, in
proximity of Sri Ramana Maharshi. He felt the need for a Guru and returned to Swami Ramadas, then returned once again to the Himalayas. In 1952,
moved by a powerful inner force, he returned to Swami Ramadas, and discovered his brilliant spiritual light.
Sri Aurobindo gave him Jnana, Sri Maharshi
blessed him with tapas and Swami Ramadas gave him the nectar of
Bhakti. Swami Ramadas initiated him into the holy mantra : "
Aum Sri Ram Jai Ram Jai Jai
Ram ", by pronouncing
it thrice in his ears.
Yogiji became the incarnation of Beatitude.
After 2 months, inspired by an inner order, with Swami Ramdas's
permission, he left for Tiruvannamalai. After 7 years of voyage
on foot throughout all of India, Yogi Ramsuratkumar arrived at
his destination, Tiruvannamalai, in 1959, and continued to spread his grace
on humanity, dressed in a dhoti and a green turban and holding
a palm fan and a coconut. Swamiji's prescription is to
always chant Ram Nam.
Until about 1977, Shri Yogiji was
in Tiruvannamalai near the temple chariot, at the corners of
the roads, under the trees of the temple. Subsequently, accepting
the entreaties of devotees, Swamiji began living in a small house
in Sannadhi Street. The influx of devotees grew steadily in size
creating the need for an ashram. To fulfil the 15 year old desire
of devotees, Swamiji gently accepted around 1993 to the acquisiton, enabled by contributions, of a site at Agrahara Collai, Tiruvannamalai, of 3.5 acres (1.4 ha). Very soon, with Swamiji's blessings, the Bhumi Puja was completed. The terrain was cordoned off and a darshan temple was
built. In February 1994, the first stone of the ashram complex was installed by Swami Satchidananda of Kanhangad in the holy company of Yogiji.
< The old house of Yogiji
The steps near the entrance of the Temple, on which it was often possible to find Yogiji, in front of his house >
The ashram began to flourish and took, in the vision of Yogiji, a combination of Beauty, Durability and Divinity.
.The imposing principal structure of the ashram, as Shri Yogiji said with enthusiasm. will a fusion of all cultures of our country. This trearue has been blessed by Yogiji to radiate Peace to Harmony all across the world both now and for all time to come. The view to the holy beacon hill of Arunachala from the ashram is unique. The principal hall has an oval form, 350 feet long and 150 feet wide. Its can hold 4000 devotees at a given time.
(This translation is a contribution of Srikanth